Property Maintenance Enforcement
The objective of property maintenance enforcement is to protect the public health safety and welfare in all structures and on all premises by establishing requirements and standards.
Requirements and standards are set forth in the local Ordinance and also the 2006 International Property Maintenance Code as adopted by the Village of South Holland. In order to maintain the high standards that our village has achieved, we will continue to enforce property maintenance codes through constantly enforcing these ordinances and codes.
Typical Areas of Concern and Property Violations
- Grass and lawns must be maintained under 6 inches in length.
- Stagnant water in swimming pools or ground depressions creating a health hazard.
- Overgrown weeds in landscaped areas not to exceed 10 inches.
- Accumulation of rubbish and garbage that encourage infestation of rodents and other vermin.
- Motor vehicles which are un-licensed or inoperable are not allowed in public view.
- Motor vehicles are not to be parked in grass areas.
- Motor vehicles undergoing repair work, either mechanical or body, must be done inside a structure, not in the driveway or on the street.
- Real Estate For Sale Signs must be placed half the distance between the public sidewalk and the front of the residential structure.
- Under no circumstance is a sign permitted to be placed in the parkway.
- All structures require a house number (street address) at least 4 inches high and visible from the street.
- All exterior siding and trim which includes soffits, facia, eaves, windows and doors must be maintained in good condition.
- Roofs must be watertight and maintained in good condition.
- Windows that open must have screens.
- Windows or doors are not to be boarded up.
- All fences must be maintained in a structurally sound condition.
- Seasonal decorations must be removed within 2 weeks of the holiday.
- Garbage toters are to be placed at the curb after 4:00pm on the day before pick up, and removed before 8:00pm on the day of pick up.
This listing is representative of some of the standards and requirements of the Village of South Holland.
If you have any questions about these or other areas, call us at 708-210-2915.