Village of South Holland Find Us on Facebook!  Follow Us on Twitter!  Watch Our Videos on Vimeo!  Watch Us on YouTube!  See Our Pictures on Flickr!
Historical Timeline - Page 2
Village Logo Timeline of South Holland's History

The Beginning: 1894 to 1940

1894 The South Holland Police Department is formed, with Herman DeBoer as its first Chief.
1894 South Holland's population reaches 1,005.
Late 1890s McKinley School is built.
1900 South Holland's population is 766 according to the 1900 Census.  The decrease was largely due to the disannexation of farmland by the Village between 1894 and 1900.
1907 The South Holland Concert Band is formed, now known as The South Holland Municipal Band.
1910 South Holland's population grows to 1,065.
1911 South Holland Trust & Savings Bank is formed, now MB Financial.
1912 Calvin Christian School is formed.
1914 The South Holland Fire Department is formed.
1920 South Holland's population is 1,247.
1924 Chicago area author Edna Ferber uses South Holland, its pioneers and onion farms as background for her novel "So Big".
1925 Mike Van Der Aa forms Van Der Aa Bus Lines, now known as Vancom Inc.
1926 Protestant Reformed Church of South Holland is formed.
1927 Thornton Junior College is formed, the fifth college established in Illinois.  Later known as Thornton Community College, and now known as South Suburban College.
1930 South Holland's population is 1,873.
1931 The first Boy Scout Troop in South Holland, Troop #1, is started.
1937 Walt's Fruit & Vegetable Stand is opened, now Walt's Food Store.
1940 South Holland's population reaches 2,272.
Village of South Holland  -  16226 Wausau Avenue  -  South Holland, Illinois 60473  -  708-210-2900
Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright ©2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.  Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

All content on this website is Copyright ©2013, Village of South Holland. All rights reserved.
Any unauthorized use or reproduction is strictly prohibited. This website is best viewed at resolutions of 1024x768 or higher.

Employee Login