Village of South Holland Find Us on Facebook!  Follow Us on Twitter!  Watch Our Videos on Vimeo!  Watch Us on YouTube!  See Our Pictures on Flickr!
Historical Timeline - Page 1
Village Logo Timeline of South Holland's History

The Beginning: 1600s to 1894

1600s Fertile lands and abundant catfish, sun fish, pike, and black bass from the Calumet River drew the Potawatomi and Miami Indian tribes to the area.
1700s The local surrounding area is part of the Northwest Territory.
1809 The area is transferred to the Illinois Territory.
1818 Illinois becomes the 21st state of the United States.
1838 Defeated in war and excluded by treaty, few from the Indian tribes remain. Those who did remain helped the early Dutch settlers.
1847 Hendrik de Jong purchases 300 acres of land in Thornton Township, and he, his wife Geertje (de Vries) and 12 children become the first settlers in what is established as De Laage Prarie, also known as Holland Bridge or Low Prarie. Antje Paarlberg also settled here later in the year.
1848 Low Prarie Church is formed, later known as Reformed Protestant Church, then First Dutch Reformed Church, and finally First Reformed Church of South Holland.
1849 Thorn Creek Church is formed in High Prarie (now Roseland), and is now known as Thorn Creek Reformed Church of South Holland.
1853 Illinois Central railroad tracks are laid in the village.
1854 Gouwen School is built, named for J.C. Gouwen who donated the land.
1860 A combination General Store and Post Office is built.
1860 The Panhandle Railroad lays tracks through the village.
1870 The Post Office is recognized by the US Government, and the town's name was changed to South Holland, Illinois.
1871 Eastern Illinois Rail lays tracks passing through the village.
1880 The Chicago and Grand Trunk Railroad lays tracks across the southern portion of the village.
1882 Swedish Evangelical Mission Church is formed, now known as Village Evangelical Free Church.
1882 John Shilling founds Wausau Lumber & Coal Company.
1886 First Christian Reformed Church of South Holland is formed.
1892 Dutch and German farmers begin raising onion sets and eventually came to dominate the commercial production and distribution of this crop, earning for South Holland the title "Onion Set Capital of the World".
1893 Roosevelt School is formed.
1894 South Holland is incorporated into a Village under the statutes of the State of Illinois.
May 12, 1894 South Holland's first Village Board is elected:
President John Shilling
Clerk Peter Anker
Trustees D.P. DeYoung
Gerrit Van DeBerg
Roel VanVuren
Okke VanZanten
Village of South Holland  -  16226 Wausau Avenue  -  South Holland, Illinois 60473  -  708-210-2900
Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright ©2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.  Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

All content on this website is Copyright ©2013, Village of South Holland. All rights reserved.
Any unauthorized use or reproduction is strictly prohibited. This website is best viewed at resolutions of 1024x768 or higher.

Employee Login