What the Village is Doing
The Village of South Holland is attacking our flood problems on several fronts.
- We adopted a comprehensive Floodplain Management Plan to guide Village activities.
- Our Public Works crews maintain the stream channels, ditches, sewers and inlets.
- Our Planning and Development Department ensures that flood and sewer backup protection measures are incorporated in new construction, improvements and repairs.
- We are preserving most of the floodplain as parks and open space.
- This website is part of an overall public information program strategy to help property owners learn about the hazard and what they can do about it. Additional information is available in the South Holland Public Library at 16250 Wausau Avenue, and at the Building and Code Department at 16240 Wausau Avenue.
- Our flood protection activities have been recognized by FEMA’s Community Rating System (CRS). Many communities in the area participate in this program. South Holland is one of few communities in the nation with a CRS Rating of 5, which brings reduction in flood insurance premiums of up to 25%.
- The Village of South Holland has Warning Sirens in place to help alert you in advance of an approaching storm with potential flooding risk.
- The Village of South Holland participates in Code Red Community Notification System which will call residents to alert them of severe weather approaching, potential floods, and many other notifications. Please enroll in Code Red to ensure that you receive these notifications.