Emergency Services Disaster Agency
E.S.D.A. is an entity of the Village of South Holland, led by Deputy Police Chief Jim Tavernaro. Members, all of whom are volunteer, give their time and talents without pay to serve the community.
E.S.D.A. is designed to work when either man-made or natural disasters or emergencies occur in South Holland or the surrounding area.
E.S.D.A. is the modern, better trained version of the old Civil Defense Corps which protected our nation during and after World War II.
E.S.D.A. has its origins in the Federal legislation which created FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency. E.S.D.A.s are the local arm of FEMA, although they are not under Federal or State control unless an officially declared emergency situation exists in a community, state, or region.
What does E.S.D.A. do?
- Traffic control
- Crowd control
- Search and Rescue (land and water)
- Weather spotting
- Disseminate public information
- Mutual aid – assisting other suburban E.S.D.A. units
Goals and Objectives
- Provide support to Village departments and organizations.
- Provide support for community events
- Protect the environment
- Work with other E.S.D.A units
- Provide necessary facilities and training
- Provide needed vehicles and facilities
- Recognize volunteers annually