Building and Zoning
Strong building codes, efficient documentation system, and stringent but fair enforcement of these codes make the Planning and Development Department one of the best in the State, as demonstrated by the Village of South Holland when they were rated Class 4 by the Insurance Services Office, Inc (ISO).
Building Codes adopted by the Village of South Holland
International Building Code, including the following:
– International Fire Protection Code (2012)
– International Residential Code (2012) including Appendices E, F, G, H, J, K, M, O, Q
– International Existing Building Code (2012)
– International Mechanical Code (2012) including Appendix A
– International Fuel Gas Code (2012) including Appendices A, B, C, D
– International Energy Code – Current state of Illinois adopted code
– International Property Maintenance Code (2012)
– International Building Code: (2012) including Appendices E, F, G, I, J
– International Code Council Performance Code: (2012) including Appendices A, B, C, D, E
– International Wildland-Urban interface Code (2012)
– International Private Sewage Disposal Code (2012)
National Electrical Code (2011)
Illinois Plumbing Code (2014)
|Permits are required for (but not limited to) improvements such as:|
|Window Replacement||Door Replacement||Lawn Irrigation||Demolition|
A Plat of Survey and a scope of work are needed for many of the projects listed above. Please allow a minimum of 24 hours for permits to be processed.
All contractors must be licensed in the Village of South Holland. Please review the contractors license application for complete requirements.
Property Owners – Be Aware!
Are you doing your own work or has your contractor asked you to obtain a building permit?
If a contractor has asked you to get the permit listing you, the homeowner, as the contractor, you should be aware of the following:
- If you have a contractor, they may be attempting to absolve themselves from liability and responsibility for the quality and workmanship of the work performed.
- Your contractor might not be licensed with the Village of South Holland.
- It is NOT cheaper for a homeowner to obtain a building permit.
- The time frame for processing a permit application is the same for homeowners as it is for contractors.
- You will be held to the same standards and same inspection schedule as a contractor.
- The Village of South Holland will not be able to help you resolve any disputes or problems with unlicensed contractors or their work.
- YOU will be responsible for correcting any deficiencies in the work performed.
- It is a code violation to falsify information on permit applications
>For more information on the permit process, contact the Planning & Development Office at (708) 210-2915.